Saturday, November 16, 2013

Dreams for 2014

Facebook may suck up a lot of my time, but seeing other creative folks on the pages enables me to dream. We live in various sections of our great country and the world.  Actually geting together face to face would be an impossibility. Friends know friends who write and suggestions to be friends enlarges my circle.
I think of writers of long ago who actually visited with other writers. Mary Shelley with the input of her group, created Frankenstein. The friendship of C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien formed. And the French gathering of the 1920's authors, Ernest Hemingway, Scott Fitzgerald and Gertrude Stein, and others encouraging each other.
A cousin of my husband, introduced me to a young mother, Bonnie Fitzgerald Smith, who writes and I enjoy her writing, as well as encourage her. Anita Mathias from Cambridge, popped into my circle through Twitter. I met some more writers, Sue Anderson, Homer Hickman and Christy Jordan this morning through a post from a friend from high school. I look at their pages and think this is interesting and promising.
Locally, I have my writers support group from Boardman. I have met local authors here in Shenango Valley, where we plan to get together once a month, starting in January. I love all the possibilities spread out before me.
I guess that is why I love NaNoWriMo. We support each other in our writing efforts. I think this is like the pen pals of old, but we don't have to wait as long for the anticipated answer to correspondence. Friends with like interests flower my life. Friends of diverse interests also flavor my spectrum of imagination. I still long for that weekend in a cabin in the woods, staying up late, exchanging stories and ideas. I guess that is what a writer's conference is.
I'm to dream this weekend, so my dream is a strong group locally and the means to attend a writer's conference in 2014, at least, the local St. David's Christian Writers Conference in June. Strong friendships, conferences to learn and more writing time fill my wish list for 2014.

No comments: