Thursday, November 14, 2013

I Keep Writing

About a week ago, I listened to Ted Dekker's http://teddekker.com/ interview on Chris Fabry http://www.moodyradio.org/brd_ProgramDetail.aspx?id=122167  live- the pod cast, since I'm working when it is live. Ted is promoting his Outlaw tour, where he is speaking more than just book signing his most autobiographical book, yet. He sells it that way. I haven't had the privilege to read it at this point.
I started reading Ted Dekker when I was looking for Christian writers. An article for summer reads came out in my fellowship's magazine, The Pentecostal Evangel. Katie was in high school and it was before Rich Jones came to our church as youth pastor, (as I awoke the gray matter, I remember it was nine years ago, 2004) that I immersed myself in Ted's writing. I love what they now call the early Ted-Heaven's Wager, the first and my favorite, although, I don't own that one. I bought the Heaven series, and Blink, with a chapter in Ridgecrest, California, as well as many others. I could not put these books down and I vowed I wanted to write like that. I gave many away to encourage, especially young people to think. He definitely did not follow the Christian fiction formula. He wrote about evil, but didn't get vulgar.
In the interview, Ted remarked that each book is like a journal of his life when he wrote them. I am finding that true, too. Summer Triangle, although fiction, used much of my life a year ago. Main Street is set in the house and town where I grew up. The story I'm writing this month for NaNoWriMo is a different time in my life, and I'm not sure exactly how it is going to turn out, like life, itself.
Even looking back on my blog, I think, "Wow, that was happening, then?" An article will show on my pageviews and I'll wonder, "What was that one about?" As I read it, I'm thinking I'll need to edit these sometimes. If I lived it, wrote about something, finding it unclear, what of you, the reader?
I know from reading that I must hone my craft every day. I'm growing. I need to write. I hope some time to have more time to go to a conference to develop more. One good thing about life, it keeps going.  One of my favorite John Cougar Mellencamp songs, Life Goes On. We hold on to the wonder of sixteen, but hopefully have the wisdom of age.

No comments: