Thursday, January 2, 2014

Abundant Snow

Today, abundance seems to come in the form of snow in the eastern region of our country. The fine snow falls quickly. No wind yet driving it into one's eyes. I believe I heard that is coming tomorrow.
I am amazed at the abundance of cars on the road. I also marvel at how fast they go and how close many are to accidents. I shut down with snow and long to just sit here on my couch, watching the silent falling.
I am thankful that I don't have to drive in it, like the many years before. I would feel trapped in an endless field of white, watching the lights ahead of me, if I were in the city or freeway. I'd listen to the radio, but tense at the prospect of being hit from behind. One time, the traffic moved so slowly, I didn't realize my flowered green Volks Wagen wandered into a funeral procession on East Market Street in Warren, Ohio. I wondered not only how long it would take me to get home, but also would I ever make it home.
Today, I have an abundance of thanksgiving that I do not have to battle our northeast snow. My husband is home for the holiday, driving us to our local jobs. I joked when I took this job, that I could even walk there if the snow were bad. Yet, I still wish I could sit here on my couch watching the tiny flakes steadily fill the landscape.

No comments: