Saturday, June 8, 2013

Deadline or Dead Start?

I'm going to be a little lazy in my writing today. It is the Christmas season of graduations. Open houses every weekend this month. The graduation ceremonies completed throughout the Valley, now parties begin. I wrote about this tradition before- I'll link to my posts.
http://missmolliesmusings.blogspot.com/2012/03/local-stuff.html
I started reading my second novel ever I have read by Stephen King yesterday. I see why he is popular. He tells stories well. I read Carrie years ago. I thought about reading The Shining, but could never bring myself to it. I'm not a horror/ suspense reader, but I always read his interviews about writing. He is a prolific writer and his family follows his lead. That alone is awesome in my book.
A quote from the book I'm reading now, Hearts in Atlantis:
"There are books full of great writing that don't have very good stories. Read sometimes for the story. Don't be like the book snobs who won't do that. Read sometimes for the words- the language. Don't be like the play-it-safers that won't do that. But when you find a book that has both a good story and good words, treasure that book."
I have been thinking more in fiction lately. I love the phrases, the words, but I'm looking at story again, too. I feel I have been caught up with the publishing. I'm scared, to tell you the truth. I'm venturing out into a field dim to me. I don't trust my flashlight, either. I cling to the edge of the porch. I want to be on the other side, but the first steps are the hardest.
Look at the lion. Where does my help come from? From the Lord God of Israel, who neither slumbers nor sleeps. I pray for a back that will allow me to sleep. I pray for restfulness to finish the first step of publishing. I am glad for deadlines or I would remain at a dead start.

No comments: