Saturday, July 7, 2012

Day One- Summer Vacation 2012

I set up the format for the contest. It wasn't too hard, but I have to be online to write on it. I have my work cut out for me. I may be spending hours at a place with wireless. Or rising earlier than my usual time. I dusted off the manuscript yesterday, and boy, could I do some cutting and revision. It is good to let some time simmer a pot. Again, I ask for prayers as I embark on this endeavor.
So as I promised, vacation stories from earlier this week, with pictures. We arrived in Emporium at our usual late time, 930PM. David's parents were just leaving the porch. I call them Mom and Dad, have since before I was married. Sometimes, now I do refer to them as Grandma and Grandpa, since I'm with three of their grandchildren often-my daughters and David's niece.
Dad, unfortunately, has a mind that is retreating into the non-memory land. It now seems to be getting worse by the day. As Katie says, he has a hard time even remembering the script. This affects us all, as he was such a strong leader. I keep thinking that was only five years ago, he ruled the house and his family.
Sunday, I sat next to him in church. Communion was celebrated. The liturgy for this shines on the screen in front. Dad quietly reads along and my heart melts in a way I have a hard time describing. I am moved. The pastor, Chris, who is a retired woman minister, leads the sacrement. She offers Jesus' love. All of this, has made this Lord's supper one of the most meaningful ones for me in a long time. I felt Chrirst's presence in our midst. And I'm sad, my words are unable to convey the mystery I felt.
After this service, I feel changed, more loving, more forgiving, more like Jesus. I talked with Pastor Chris to tell her how God worked through her love. We end up talking a long time. Her last charge was in Fredonia and Big Bend, what the Methodists call a two point charge. I know the area well, as it was my first territory when I started home health nursing twenty years ago. She had just been in the Charleston UM church for a funeral the day before. They used the bigger sancturary since Big Bend is a small white country church. She is fascinated with writers and I tell her ministers and their stories fascinate me. Also, my heroine in the novel I'm presently writing is named Christina, she is Christine. I love cookie hours after church, especially when it starts at ten.

Sunday is pleasant, hot, but not humid. I love the blue and green of Pennsylvania in the summer. In the evening, we sat on the large porch. Watched the moon rise and visited. The mosquitoes didn't come near.

No comments: