Thursday, November 3, 2011

Just a Blip

I've been thinking of this passage from a story I wrote a few years ago and felt like sharing it in this fall season:
Standing at the kitchen window, Martha noticed the the leaves turning colors, they were almost at their peak. "Hattie,you ever notice, if you stand in a grove of yellow leaves, you feel enveloped in gold? It shines, even if it's rainy or cloudy. Do you remember that from being a kid?" Martha glanced sideways from the window, her eyes not wanting to leave the scene.
"Yes, ma'am, but it is so much better when the sun is shining like today," Hattie replied.
"Well, I want to be in that gold all the time. I want that glowing, something that you feel from the inside."
"Ma'am, I'm not sure how you get that. I just go by every day."
"Oh, Hattie, I know. I feel like that,too. But my mother and now Tillie seem to have that gold. Do you think it's religion? I can't seem to understand the Bible..."
She continues later:
"It is sad, that all this beauty lasts for a short time and we know it signals death. I guess to have that gold, you have to die, eh?"
Writing for NaNoWriMo whet my appetite for fiction writing again. I'm up to 3474 words, a little ahead of schedule. I'm happy since I almost didn't want to write last evening after a full day. I wish I could write and walk at the same time. Yesterday proved to be a beautiful day for a walk. Many ideas grow on those walks.

No comments: