Thursday, December 1, 2011

What NaNoWriMo Taught Me

No, I didn't finish the challenge this past month. I found out I can write with distractions. I can write thousands of words in a day. I couldn't catch up when I got too far behind with this deadline, unless I had called off, but I'm not giving up. I wrote over 27,000 words for the story, as well as had a killer weekend for my on-call week, a holiday with much travel and almost single handedly run a family. I'm patting myself on the back, I did well.
The story is not done or placed on the shelf. Even though a period piece didn't give me the flow necessary for NaNoWriMo, I'd been planning this story for a few years. I'm excited that I have written as much as I have so far. More research will be needed. I'm truly looking forward to revising and living with the Titus family- Abe and Irene, Christina and returning Eva and her daughter, Emma.
Speaking of Emma, my twelve year old great niece that I only see once a year and I'm not even sure I saw her last year, came into the room at my in-laws when I was writing, thought my story sounded interesting. I'm not sure, but I don't think this girl is given to dishing out flattery.At twelve years of age, not many are given to duplicity. I only wrote a few words because I connected with Baltimore Emma. Family is always more important than anything we do for ourselves.
November was a stretching month for me. I put my goals out there. I let people know I was writing. Did I meet my goal this month? No. Did I fail? No. Was I embarrassed of my writing? No. I have grown since I first started seriously writing. I'm glad I don't feel I have to get up at four in the morning to write. I'm also contented that I keep a notebook with me and write any time and anything I feel moved to jot.
January, I will seriously look into magazine writing. Since you must prepare ahead six months, calenders will be out to guide me as well as publishers guides. I'm not giving up. I really love the blog, as well. I love writing.
Soon I'll write the family Christmas letter that I haven't tackled in years. I think I have a thank you note to write and start a correspondence with Emma. We discussed some interesting themes and I want to explore them more with her.
So, look for this blog to explode as I whip off many of the ideas I have had, and will have. I still have to get out of sixth grade!

No comments: