Sunday, August 21, 2011

Movie Theme Songs

Just came from our Mercer County/Shenango Valley Senior Follies show, Movie Magic. These shows get better every year. I love that the Hickory High School Drama Club assists and gets a number. I endorse the interaction of the generations. And scary as it is I'm almost a senior.
I thought back to the late 60's, early 70's when so many movie theme songs made the radio. I still mostly saw the Disney movies. Mom complained once that,"The only movies we see are Disney." But we did start attending some more mature movies. In fact they were rated "M" like "The Prime of Miss Jean Brody" with the ever memorable song,"Jean." Mom thought it would be OK for me because it was about a girl's boarding school. I still haven't let my girls see it. Well, it just hasn't come up on the q for Netflix.
The band played a good amount of them tonight,"Love Story," "Laura's Theme-Somewhere My Love,"(I thought of Grandma Evans missing June), a whole Burt Bacharach selection, "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head,""Alfie," "What the World Needs Now," but no "Do You Know the Way to San Jose?"
These movies and songs seeped into my culture. Everyone made reference to the horse head in the bed, that the anticipation when I finally saw "The Godfather" on TV grew. My parents watched that one by themselves at the movie theater. I must have been at a friend's house.
Who didn't hear that grown men cried during "Love Story?" All comedy shows that we had on our TV, like Carol Burnett, incorporated the popular movies in the sketches. I didn't live in a bubble, so these movies affected me.
The summer of 1972 I did see "Nicholas and Alexandra," and that led me to love anything czarina. Those lovely girls fascinated my eleven year old romanticism. I didn't know the story so the ending proved to be a startling shock to me. I went home and devoured the World Book Encyclopedia for information on all of that era.
All those songs drifting from the radio, some so haunting or sad and others more happy, like "Raindrops" What that had to do with Butch and Sundance, I don't know. A simple little interlude between brutality, I guess. But we loved singing it.
Years later I have enjoyed most of those movies. I don't think I've seen "Alfie." Not sure I want to do so, although I love Michael Cane.

No comments: