Thursday, September 12, 2013

1 John 4:8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8DiZhNVu1I
Another song speaking truth to me out of the darkness. 1 John 4:8 reminds me that "God is Love." I had a glowing statuette of a kneeling girl with braids that had those words when I was a small girl. It shone at first brightly as I fell asleep, then faded through the night. It sat on a dais of black plastic. I was impressed by it.
Later, we celebrated Valentine's Day at church and a teacher wrote this verse on the card. I thought, "Wow, I never thought of Valentine's Day being redeemed for Jesus." Ever since, Valentine's Day is one of my favorite holidays. The idea of God is love fills every decoration.
I have been in a bit of a dark place, if you hadn't noticed. I'm being jerked around with my job. The last hot days of summer blew no promise, it seemed. All my efforts became lost causes. I live under a cloud.
I heard this song as I rambled through the radio stations yesterday. Love Take Me Over. Steven Curtis Chapman has been around for a long time. His music creates a familiar ring. The words always speak to me. I think of Live Out Loud shouting that truth of what we have as Christians in eternal life is so worth telling all about.
This song, though, tells me to speak it all in love. We are given so much love from the God of Love. Steven even mentions another verse I never realized until I was an adult- New Living Translation
"For the LORD your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With his love, he will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs." Zephaniah 3:17.
I woke many mornings with the Lord singing over me a song I needed to hear. Have I been so wrapped up in my problems that I can't hear those songs any more? This morning, though, I had peace when I woke after unloading all the problems last night.
I heard this song again as I drove home from dropping Katie off at work. I hear them by "random" chance, but I'm still listening for those songs to build me into a stronger person. Only as I fill myself with the Word and noble ideas can I carry on. God is Love. Love Take Me Over. He rejoices over me with Loud singing.

No comments: