Tuesday, March 19, 2013

For the Church, Only

Nothing is popping into my head or landing in my lap this morning. I read about all the writing, posting, blogging, publishing and know deep down, I need to write. I sit here and don't know what to write. I have one idea, but I'm not feeling controversial today. Should I be? Am I too afraid the fingers will point at me? Or seem they should? Would it be vulnerable?
Maybe then I should address it. Do we need to hear it? Can I do it justice? Or will I sound judgmental?
This is for the Church, so if you are not of the Church, read it as a bystander. I pray you would become a follower of Jesus. We are an imperfect bunch. Our righteousness is in Christ, not in our works. But we are to be known for our love.
I have felt this for a while. There is sin in the camp. People are hiding sin or excusing it. They reason, "God really didn't mean that. That's so old testament. He wants me to be happy."
OK, what about your kids? To those who are tearing apart your marriages, jumping from one relationship to another. Those who are putting their jobs, money and careers, first. The gossip that kills with each poisoned word spoken. Are these the lessons we want passed down to our children or to other children in the Church? We must watch our words and attitudes. Who is first in your life?
Yes, the fingers point back to me. As preachers may say, "I have to preach to myself first."
This morning in the Vindicator, this article made the first page http://www.vindy.com/news/2013/mar/19/this-is-a-love-wake-up-call/  
I hope you take time to read it as well. Do not dismiss it because you are not of that culture.  All morning, I have been reading about repenting, living holy lives. We, as Christians, need to step up to bat. We need to abide in and take nourishment from the Vine, as branches or we are just lush, fruitless leaves rustling in the breeze. And we will be pruned to produce good fruit.
I pray for the Church to confess the sin in the house. Weeping may last for the night, as repentance rips open the doors of heaven, but joy will come in the morning. Let us be honest with ourselves and God. Read your Bible with the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Grace is free, but not cheap.

No comments: