Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Jane Eyre

I saw the new Jane Eyre last evening. What a wonderful movie, the stark beauty of the moors, the immenseness of Thornfield, the ruggedness of Rochester, the superb rendering of the styles of that day filled my eyes with pleasure. Passion beat in the words, the laying bare of their souls, understanding the meaning underneath. The verbal play exposed the love. The kisses full of emotion only accentuated the growing action of the conversation.
I loved Orson Wells as Rochester,as well, but this movie depended so much on the words of the novel for the intimacy of the lovers. I was most impressed by the power, passion, meaning that lives in the words.
I read Jane Eyre when I was in eighth grade, leading me to bawl at the end of the book in my bed as I finished the last chapter. It is a story to emulate. After seeing this movie, Katie and I were both moved to read the book again. We have to dig it out and then uncover the secrets of this novel, again.

No comments: