Sunday, April 17, 2011

Don't Forget 29

In view of my blog yesterday, the verse Romans 8:28 is well known to Christians-And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.  It is quoted often as an encouragement and it is.  But I think we need to look further into that chapter.  We can't always have just a catch phrase and if a verse is dropped into your mind, get out your Bible and read around it, too.  Mull it over and see what is speaking into your life.  If you know Greek, it would also be helpful to study it in the original language.  I have never formally learned Greek.  Some day.  We have an ancient Greek lexicon somewhere around here- another story.
Why do we have sufferings, bad news and little foxes nipping at our vines?- because some days it is just all the petty things that can get me down. Again, I'm not a theologian, but I have read the Bible for many years and listened to many sermons, classes and read a lot.  We have to look at verse 29 and following- we are to be conformed to the likeness of His Son.  That is the goal of a follower of Jesus, to be more like Him every day. And further on in the 8th chapter,  nothing can separate us from the love of God.
So not to simplify our hardships into the modern day sound bite- not that many journalists today understand faith-we need to ask God to help us look at all that is happening through His eyes.  We do not have wisdom because we do not ask, James in the Bible says.
Today in church we had a former Philadelphia lawyer turn missionary to Armenia speak.  His message was an answer to my thoughts this past week about the hardships in this life.  Not so much that I needed answers, as acknowledgment that there is more than a worldly purpose for all that is happening.   
These thoughts are more like material for a thesis than a quick blog, but I sense there is an interest.  I'm not alone in my feelings.  As we search for answers, we read the Bible, pray and listen.  God is more than willing to comfort us and be with us.  I urge you, don't forget 29, 30,...31 to 39.  Just sit down and read the Bible.

No comments: