Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Team Teddy Tuesday

A reminder, verbal abuse leaves scars. Scars deeper and harder to erase than a physical beating. I see tears on a woman today recalling the attacks of words from her mother. Verbal abuse is harder to detect from the outside, so I'm not so much asking people to report this but to watch our own words.
Words pack power.  A hand smack to the face fades. Broken bones heal eventually. Too often the words go with the physical. Both create horror and fear in a child. I am not suggesting one is worse than the other, really.
Words linger longer than the physical pain at times. They are overlooked by outsiders at times. The woman this morning stated at least a beating can end. Words tumble over a child and live forever in her mind.
Kind words heal. I often think of these verses. Let our words lift up all. Pray over your words. All verses taken from the English Standard Version.
Isaiah 6:5:
 And I said: “Woe is me! For I am lost; for I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts!”
Matthew 12:36
I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak,
Matthew 18:10
“See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that in heaven their angels always see the face of my Father who is in heaven.

Tones convey a message as well. Sarcasm slimes into a child's talk quickly. Anger carries a heaviness. Check the tone.
Pray for the children. Pray for the adults in contact with them. These could be parents, teachers, coaches, dance instructors, older brothers and sisters, the bus driver, clerks in stores, or waitresses. May we all watch our words, especially when little ears are near.  


No comments: