Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Teddy's Law Tuesday

The Klu Klux Klan figures highly in my recently published novel Main Street. Although this doesn't directly connect with child abuse, I can see some similarities. The main one is the secretiveness. We just celebrated our one hundred fiftieth birthday in my home town. In the display, pictures of the Klan in West Middlesex surprised some younger people.
On our facebook page, You know you're from West Middlesex if..., the pictures were posted. That people in 1925 actually posed for a group photo in their hoods blew me away. And a professional photographer took the job. The visions of the four photos got under my skin. I admit I skirted around the Klan in my book. I had to focus on Martha and her isolation in not knowing how to stop the hatred.
Maybe women today are in that situation with their children and the man in their lives. We have to help, as teachers, nurses, neighbors and any other way we come in contact with children. We suspect anything, report it. I have the hotline on speed dial- 1-800-422-4453

 

No comments: