Monday, February 20, 2012

Lowellville, OH

Lowellville tucked between a US highway and hills. I had to go there today. The winter sun did little to brighten the old run down buildings along the river. I did see a restaurant with a bright green awning with a at least fifteen cars parked head in. I wondered about this little town. I have been there a few times for different agencies over the years.
A feeling of going back forty years pervades me. The houses' interiors are paneled walls or that pale blue, green or pink from that yesteryear. Today, I felt Appalachian, as I was across the river. I'm sure it was like the other side of the tracks.
So what did Lowellville do? What made it famous? Why did people settle in this town? How old is it? Who settled it?
Well I did a quick search about Lowellville and since it is a village, not much to read about. Settled along the banks of the Mahoning River in 1800,the dwellings didn't become incorporated until 1890. Sharon Steel was the main industry. The people came from the eastern part of the United States, mostly Italian Americans. Most of my home visits were with that ethnic group.
Lowellville, hidden on the border in the Mahoning Valley, was one of those places growing up that I heard about, but no reason to go there. Only with home health visits do I get to places that otherwise I would not travel. This village truly feels like going back in time to some extent. The schools are new and fresh. Some of the homes are newer or remodeled, as well, but overall, a bygone era still lives in this nook.

1 comment:

Miss Mollie's Musings said...

I got to go back to the Twilight Zone yesterday and yes, these people were Italian Americans.