Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Teddy's Law Tuesday

I ran out of new material since the facebook page for Teddy's Law disbanded. I saw something the other day about not ignoring child abuse and shoving those excuses away from one's consciousness. Tuesdays on my blog are to raise awareness of child abuse. Also to encourage all to keep our eyes open and to report it.
I keep the childhelp hotline 1-800-422-4453 on speed dial. I thought of that one time as I traveled on I-80. What if I saw something amiss and yet, couldn't call because the number was on my computer? I hope to never use it, but the face of smiling Teddy hiding his abuse haunts me always.
If you are new to this blog, I encourage you to read about Teddy's plight. Child abuse stories assault us every day in the paper it seems. Teddy's story pierced my heart the first mention on the radio three years ago. Realizing afterwards, that I knew his mother through my work as a home health nurse, as she worked for another company, caring for one of my patients, just hit me how personal child abuse can be. We need to keep our eyes open. And more than that, we can't keep silent. You can report abuse anonymously. Don't let silence kill a child.

No comments: