Sunday, June 5, 2011

Community Theater is Back in the Shenango Valley!

Last evening was the last of the run of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat at the Sharon United Methodist Church, and I must say it was excellent. The talent a community has lays hidden and is sometimes dormant. Last night revealed the jewel that shines.
I remember when we had community theater before. One performance was at Farrell High School when it was new. My cousin's first wife was in the musical Pippen. I also remember it was not what my parents expected. So exciting to see adults on the stage.
My mother often attended the Kennley Players at Warren Packard Music Hall. She would regale us with stories of celebrities she saw while out on the town with her girlfriends. They often ate at the Brown Derby after the plays and she would see local DJ's, too.
One time my parents took me to see The King and I with Yul Brenner at the Packard Music Hall. I sat in the dark hall, transported to Siam. Being a child, I loved the children. Theater takes you places, no matter the sets. The music, acting, the make-up, costumes all combine for an enchanted evening.
Last evening I was in Canaan and Egypt- way, way back many centuries ago. I'm so thankful community theater is back in the Shenango Valley.

No comments: