Monday, June 2, 2014

Hermitage Recreation- Part 3

Hermitage Recreation- Part 3

Along historical lines, as I left the Clarksville cemetery, I crossed the oldest bridge in Hermitage, on the line between Clark and Hermitage. ImageImageImageImageI
stopped that day and took some of these pictures. I couldn’t get the full effect of the bridge because summer foliage hid the stone arch. I anticipate returning in the winter when all is bare.
Not the same day, but easily one could make this a day trip for history,  a ride through our city’s countryside and over some roads leads the driver to the Hermitage Historical Society’s Stewart House at Locust Grove  and Whispering Pines trail on US 62.ImageImage
One can stroll around the grounds of the Stewart House. It is open Wednesday mornings 10-12, for an inside peak at this home. I did much of my research here twelve years ago on Tuesday afternoons, as I waited to give tours. Mairy Jayne Woge helped me much with the information. Some Wednesday, I’ll return to take pictures of the museum.ImageImageImageImageImage
Meandering around the house and gardens reminds me of the home in my childhood. Dad planted gardens and in the evening, I wandered around our yard, imaging the far away places on land and in time that I had been reading. Often times, I set myself in Hatfield, Queen Elizabeth, the first’s, castle and grounds. ImageImage
My mother attended a party at this house when she was a teenager. As you would guess, she told me this was a big deal. When I passed this house as a child, horses grazed the fields and I loved the setting. As I turn my gaze from the back of the house, a fishing pond lays back another yard, with a grandfather and four year old boy searching for a spot. The boy wears muck about boots, still stepping carefully over the soaking ground.
Whispering Pines Trail is another short, but woody path. Again, part of it winds in someone’s back yard.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
The trees are young, showing this was farm land, not too long ago. Yet, again I’m struck by ethereal forest, timeless green, our nation’s beginnings flowing over the asphalt path. If I had had sneakers on, I would have traveled down  Keiley Blance’s Eagle Scout project of Locust Grove Nature Trail, as it slips further into the woods. Our nation seems to be rooted in these forests of the East.
Hermitage offers exercise with history at Whispering Pines Community Park. Again to make it a workout, double backing is needed, but for a pleasant stroll on a summer evening, a ride east on 62 will take you there.

No comments: